Frequently Asked Questions
1. How exactly is the age limit applied?
The competition is open to people between the ages of 18-30. This means that participants must be 18 or over, and 30 or under by and including 31 October 2020.
2. When will I know if I have been selected as a winner?
You can expect to hear from us by the end of September 2020.
3. What will the winners of the competition be awarded?
The prize that the three winners receive includes the following:
- Participation in the Global Maritime Forum’s Virtual High-Level Meeting 2020
- Participation at the Global Maritime Forum Annual Summit 2021 and associated social events
- An introductory meeting the day preceding the Summit
- Coverage of accommodation in London
- Coverage of travel to and from London
- A daily stipend to cover other expenses during their stay in London
- Publication of their essays on the Global Maritime Forum website under the “Insights” section
4. What is the Global Maritime Forum’s Annual Summit?
The Global Maritime Forum is an international not-for-profit organization committed to shaping the future of global seaborne trade to increase sustainable long-term economic development and human wellbeing. It is founded on the idea that bringing together leaders from across the global maritime industry – those who have the drive and influence to make change happen – will lead to a brighter future not only for the industry, but for society as well.
Our Annual Summit – an event by invitation only – convenes key leaders from across the global maritime industry with policymakers, experts and other influential decision-makers and opinion leaders to shape the future of the industry. Together, they discuss how the industry can work together to explore challenges and opportunities facing the industry and search for actionable ideas on how to address them.
Our interactive Virtual High-Level Meeting will bring together our community of decision-makers from around the world this October. The Meeting will be organized as an engaging and interactive online event, uniting the advantages of digital technologies, and the free-flowing exchange of ideas characteristic of our events. It will take the place our Annual Summit 2020, which was originally set to take place this October in London, but has been postponed until 2021 due to the continuing uncertainty concerning the COVID-19 public health crisis.
5. On which criteria will the winners be selected?
Several criteria will be considered during the selection:
- The creativity, concreteness and relevance of the arguments and ideas presented in the essay
- The author’s level of understanding of the maritime industry and the issues it is facing
- The author’s ability to present and defend his/her arguments
- Relevance to the essay topic set for this year’s competition
- Diversity of perspective
6. Is it possible to participate in the competition as a group of two or more people?
The competition is aimed at individuals, therefore the submission needs to be an individual assignment.
7. What do I do if I have more questions?
If the question that you were looking for was not included in the FAQ, please contact us at email@example.com.