The essay topic
The world is undergoing a profound transformation. We are seeing trade wars and geopolitical tensions disrupting current patterns of international relations and trade, while at the same time witnessing how emerging markets, for instance in Africa and Asia, are lifting millions of people out of poverty; we are seeing digital technologies bringing profound changes to societies and companies, offering new challenges and new opportunities; and finally, we are observing how rising societal demands for environmental sustainability and inclusive growth are putting pressure on businesses and decision-makers to change their behaviour.
How will these trends affect, shape and transform the maritime industry? How can the maritime industry best prepare for these changes? What is your innovative idea on how the maritime industry can use these challenges and opportunities to contribute to sustainable long-term economic development and human well-being?
The Selection Committee is comprised of the following members:
- Christine Loh, Chief Development Strategist, Institute for the Environment, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong (Head of Committee)
- Ian El-Mokadem, Chief Executive Officer, V.Group, UK
- Amy Jadesimi, Managing Director, LADOL, Nigeria
- Oivind Lorentzen III, Director, SEACOR Holdings, USA
- Kasper Søgaard, Head of Research, Global Maritime Forum, Denmark
Criteria for participation
- Essay submissions should not comprise more than 1000 words
- The competition is open to students and young professionals aged 18-30
- Participants in the competition should also attach their CV when submitting their essay
- We can only accept documents written in English and saved in PDF format
Please send your submissions to email@example.com no later than Sunday, 30 June 2019, 11.59 pm CEST. The competition winners will be announced in the first week of September.
If you wish to share the news of the essay competition, visuals are available here.