- Third edition of the mapping of zero emission shipping pilots and demonstration projects (May 2022)
- A Getting to Zero Coalition webinar examining the third edition of the mapping of zero emission shipping pilots and demonstration projects.
Fuels & Technologies Insight Briefing Series
- Atomic energy and the role of modular reactors in shipping (February 2022)
- This session shared knowledge of where nuclear technology for use onboard ships is today, its pros and cons relative to other zero emission propulsion options, and what further is needed to establish its viability and competitiveness.
- Beyond green and blue, a lifecycle analysis of greenhouse gases for marine fuels (December 2021)
- This webinar explores the consequences and robustness of different pathways and investments as the different types of colours, the limits of this classification and how to overcome them. Read the insight brief.
- Methanol as a scalable zero emission marine fuel (November 2021)
- This webinar addresses methanol’s use as marine fuel, exploring the scalability potential of different carbon feedstock pathways for fuel production, including methanol synthesis from biomass, carbon capture from point sources, and carbon capture from the atmosphere. Read the insight brief.
- Alternative Fuels | The future of retrofitting ship engines (September 2021)
- This webinar addresses the topic of retrofitting, exploring the practice as an opportunity for existing vessels to meet the latest legislation, improve GHG emission performance by burning the latest generation of zero emission fuels, and also remain attractive as a business asset. Read the insight brief.
- Future Biofuels (August 2021)
- This webinar explores the scalability of biomass production and competitiveness of potential future bio products used in shipping, the demands across other sectors of the economy for the same biomass, and potential sustainability issues that can constrain supply. Read the insight brief.
- Hydrogen as a Cargo (May 2021)
- This webinar explored the potential for shipping’s early adoption of green fuels to arise off the back of new global hydrogen supply chains, the advantages of using cargo as a fuel, and the infrastructure that would need to be in place for this to scale. Read the insight brief.
- Ammonia as a Shipping Fuel (February 2021)
- The aim of this webinar is to cultivate a deeper understanding of why ammonia demonstration projects are critical to the deployment of ammonia fuelled vessels, and what we can expect to learn over the coming years. Read the insight brief.
- Sustainability criteria for marine fuels (December 2020)
- This webinar explores and contributes to the broader debate on incentivizing and enabling the uptake of sustainable marine fuels, and aims to inform decision-making around the choice of fuel(s) to promote, invest in and use.
- Overview of New Fuels: Total Cost of Operation (October 2020)
- Future zero carbon marine fuels can be derived from multiple feed stocks — renewable electricity, biomass, or fossil + CCS — and each of these feed stocks can be used to make multiple fuels (e.g. hydrogen, ammonia, ethanol, methanol, methane, bio/synthetic diesel). Read the insight brief.
- Engine Technologies & Onboard Systems (August 2020)
- Commercially viable zero emission vessels require the right engine and propulsion technologies to be developed and deployed. In this second webinar of the Insight Briefing series hosted by the Getting to Zero Coalition, “Engine Technologies & Onboard Systems”, we unpack timelines for engine development and pathways. This webinar explores future engine technologies and efficiencies, as well as the prospects for future proofing new build vessels through multi-fuel propulsion systems or planned retrofitting. Read the insight brief.
- Future fuels in the context of COVID-19 (June 2020)
- What will be the implications of COVID-19 and current oil prices on shipping’s decarbonization? This webinar, the first in a series of insight briefing webinars, explores zero emission fuels in the context of COVID-19.
- The First Wave – A blueprint for commercial-scale zero-emission shipping pilots (November 2020)
- Produced by the Energy Transition Commission for the Getting to Zero Coalition, the report aims to map the essential actors across the value chain and highlight how their involvement can mobilize effective and successful commercial-scale zero-emission shipping pilots. For actors willing to lead the first commercial scale end-to-end pilots, technology, leadership, operational understanding, and early-mover partnerships will present significant competitive advantages as the industry undertakes the transition.
- How the EU’s Fit for 55 Proposal can catalyze the global transition to zero-emission shipping (May 2022)
- The webinar discussed the two Insight Briefs that the Getting to Zero Coalition has published in relation to the Fit for 55 Proposal. The first Insight Brief discusses the design flaws of ‘Fit for 55’ in relation to shipping decarbonization and highlights points for improvement. The second Insight Brief outlines how the EU can use targeted Contracts for Difference to reinvest ETS revenues in SZEF production and distribution to support various green corridors. Learn more about Fit for 55 and our Insight Briefs with a panel discussion and a presentation of the second Brief by the Energy Transition Committee.
- Webinar with the UNFCCC High-Level Climate Champions (May 2022)
- The Getting to Zero Coalition and the UNFCCC High-Level Climate Champions (HLCC) convened a webinar to discuss and analyze recent political developments and concrete announcements in the shipping decarbonization space, in the run up to MEPC and the UN Ocean Conference.
- Synthesis of shipping decarbonization at COP26 and MEPC77 (December 2021)
- This webinar takes stock of outcomes and discusses opportunities arising from COP26 and MEPC77. The discussions gave participants the chance to explore implications for Getting to Zero Coalition members and the next steps for governments.
- Accelerating Shipping Decarbonization through Policy Action (June 2021)
- In this webinar leaders from the maritime ecosystem discuss what is needed from policy makers within the next 2 years to make an equitable decarbonization of shipping in line with the Paris agreement possible and investable.
- Dr Tristan Smith on the 4th IMO GHG study (September 2020)
- Dr Tristan Smith, Reader in Energy and Shipping at University College London. During, presented some of the important facts on the 4th IMO GHG study during the Getting to Zero Coalition’s second biannual working session on 1-3 September 2020.
- How green stimulus measures could fuel the decarbonization of shipping (June 2020)
- What impact will COVID19 have on shipping’s decarbonization, and what opportunities does the sector have to recover better? The Getting to Zero Coalition hosted a discussion on these questions as part of the Virtual Ocean Dialogues, organized by Friends of Ocean Action and World Economic Forum.
- Decarbonizing Shipping: A Call to Action (September 2021)
- An industry-led Call to Action for Shipping Decarbonization is urging ambitious government action to complement growing private sector action. The Call to Action asks that governments commit to decarbonizing shipping by 2050, support industrial scale zero emission shipping projects through national action, and deliver the policy measures that will make shipping the default choice by 2030. These asks are supported by more than 100 companies from across the maritime value chain and around the world. Each signatory has made climate commitments and is taking concrete actions.
- Key new initiatives driving shipping’s decarbonization (September 2020)
- Collaborative initiatives are key to decarbonizing the maritime sector. Two such exciting initiatives were presented during the Getting to Zero Coalition’s second biannual working session, which took place virtually between 1-3 September 2020.